If I Was Not A Christian

What is hindering so many people from seeking the Kingdom of God is the physical church. If I was not a Christian, I doubt that I would ever consider being part of an organization that stressed a belief I see evidenced by their actions. But if I was striving to understand this great Faith, how would I go about finding my way? If I was not a Christian, how would I begin my quest for the invisible in a visible world? If I was not a Christian, in which of the many label displaying buildings could I find the Faith that so many claim? If I was not a Christian, what Bible would I explore when there are so many different types? If I was not a Christian, which of the contradictory teachings should I listen to? If I was not a Christian, how would I respond to the weekly "dues" that are required for experiencing a religious gathering? If I was not a Christian, would I have to adapt to rules and regulations to be part of these "separatists"? If I was not a Christian, would I really want to be like my church- going neighbor whose life is not any different than mine?

The visible church seems to be exhibiting a conflicting message. Christians talk about the love of God, but so many of our actions fail to exhibit the reality of our claim. The Church must step up and be the Biblical evidence of God's love, or step down as the physical evidence of God's Kingdom.

If I was a part of the Christian community, I would do everything I could to reach out to the seeking and wayward. If I was a Christian, I would make sure my actions evidenced my belief. If I was a Christian, I would do whatever it took to make it easier for a non-believer to find the way into the fellowship of the faith. If I was a Christian, I would be a living example of the invisible Truths. If I was a Christian, I would be more interested in stressing the message instead of the label. If I was a Christian, I would supply a Bible that best complimented the original texts. If I was a Christian, I would steer the non-believer away from controversial messages and center on the simple truth of God's Word. If I was a Christian, I would make sure that financial giving was based on one's love of God and not a "pay as you go" requirement. If I was a Christian, I would make sure the Faith was not presented as rules and requirements, but as experiencing the benefits of God's love. If I was a Christian, my life would speak as loud as my words.

To reach the non-Believer, the Church must step out from its walled fortress and display its light to a darkened world. It is not inviting someone to our framed buildings, but introducing them to our God who loves them. It is not a time to share the tenets of faith that we are so dedicated to defend, but to share what God has done in our lives through Jesus Christ. Doctrines are important, but they must never precede the simple truth of the CROSS.

Believers must learn to present the pure Word, free from interpretive meanings and "discovered" hidden truths. Let us learn as the Apostle Paul did, "... not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and Him crucified." (I Corinthians 2:2) So many people have been turned away from the Truth by Christians who do not live the Truth they proclaim. If we are the salt of the earth, are we making people thirsty for the Truth? If we are the light of the world, are we lighting the path to our Heavenly Father? (Matthew 6:13-16) Let us ask ourselves if we are the reason people are not coming to know Jesus Christ. If we are guilty, it is time to do something about it!

No comments:

Popular Posts